PASA is a scientific regional body which brings together population and demography scientists and practitioners, policy makers and development partners in the Southern African Population issues. PASA is a non – profit, non-political, and secular organization, consisting of individual and institutional members.
PASA has a membership of more than 500 members mainly demographers, population scientists and post-graduate students in other disciplines from different academic and research institutions, as well as government employees and those working for private and non – governmental organisations.
PASA sponsors include UNFPA, National Department of Social Development and Statistics South Africa. PASA has been successfully organising annual conferences since 2005.
As stated in the MOU, the association is responsible to:
- Print the SA journal of Demography at most twice a year;
- Produce an annual report which would entail a list of activities achieved in relation to objectives;
- Lead the demography project starting with a 3 day workshop of developing population and demography research chapters.
- Ensure that students studying towards population and demography in higher institutions of the region are recruited and supported to attend PASA annual conferences.
- Facilitate the printing of the abstract handbook for the annual PASA conference; and
- Ensure that they provide an invoice to DSD regarding the costs of activities each year.