Theme: Population and Sustainable Development
EXTENDED CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Date: 29 - 30 August 2016 (Pre-Conference Training Workshop)
Date: 31 August 2016 – 02 September 2016 (11th Population of Southern Africa Conference)
Venue: University of Witwatersrand – Johannesburg
The Population Association of Southern Africa (PASA) is pleased to be hosting its 11th annual population conference. The PASA Conference is a general scientific conference aimed at advancing population scholarship in the region through sharing of population related research and programs, interaction of scholars and practitioners, as well as exposure to new methods and issues in demography.
Demographers, population scholars, academics, students and practitioners globally, and particularly in the sub- region are invited to submit abstracts. The conference is organized around Regular Sessions and Poster presentations covering the population sub-themes listed below. Papers related to the Social Development Goals and populations’ dynamics are encouraged. The conference will provide an excellent platform for demographers, population scientists and professionals from related fields to interact and share their knowledge on research findings as well as experiences.
The conference is organised around the following sub themes but are not restricted to these:
- Population Data and Methods
- Population Policy and Programmes
- Age Structural Transitions
- Population and Gender
- Population, Education and Development
- Population, Development and Environment
- Regional Migration, African Diaspora Remittance Flows and Urbanization
- Population Ageing and Intergenerational Relationships
- Population and Poverty
- Population and sustainable development
- Families and Households
- Children and Youth
- People Living with Disability
- Fertility and Nuptiality
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
- Health, Morbidity and Mortality
- HIV Interventions: Clinical and Social
You can submit three types of contributions for the conference:
- Conference papers - Contributions have to be original unpublished works.
- Posters - Visual display of research. The posters will be shown and commented on in the foyer of the conference venue. Students with papers that are still ‘under construction’ are welcome and encouraged to prepare a poster presentation with your proposed study and preliminary findings. A prize in this category will be awarded.
- Student writing competition papers - Students are encouraged to submit papers on completed research for the PASA student paper awards competition. The winners will be announced at the conference and will receive a prize.
Anyone wishing to present a paper or a poster should submit an abstract. All authors shall be notified. Then a month before the conference, full papers, or extended abstracts of accepted papers SHOULD be submitted for circulation to discussants.
NB: PASA is proposing to prepare conference proceedings publication on author’s choice basis. That is: anyone wishing to present a paper or a poster should indicate whether that paper, if accepted, can be considered for publication as part of the conference proceedings.
The abstract should generally consist of the following sections:
- Title of the paper and contributor’s name and contact details.
- Background: Indicating the reason(s) for your investigation, objectives and hypotheses.
- Methods: Indicating the methods used (including for example sample size, etc)
- Results: The essential results observed in summary form including sufficient quantitative data and statistical tests.
- Conclusion(s) and policy implications: Conclusions should be supported by the findings within your results.
There is no word limit for the abstract; however, participants are encouraged to keep it short.
All contributions should be submitted in electronic format preferably MS Word/RTF-Format before the deadline. Contributors should specify clearly the category to which they are contributing, i.e. conference paper, poster or student writing competition and sub-theme in which one is submitting to. Please provide the full postal and e-mail addresses, as well as the telephone of the corresponding author as well as any co-authors. We will correspond exclusively with the corresponding author.
Before 30 July 2016
After 30 July 2016
|Non PASA members||R550||R1700||R1800|
Abstracts: 31 March 2016
Author Notification: 29 April 2016
Final Papers: 09 June 2016